Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

When Circumstances Don't Change

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength (Deuteronomy 6:4-5).

Landscape
Courtesy of Flicker: here

He is one, and we should love Him as such. That's pretty much how the story goes. There should be a "The End" and we move on. But we're flesh in a land of idols with circumstances that gnaw at our ability to love inspite- a lot like the Israelites were when they first heard these words.

When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery (Deuteronomy 6:10-12).

God said, "It's about to get good, really good, but don't forget who's your provider" (that's my words, obviously). He said this when they were still in their "circumstances". Things weren't looking so good- they hadn't been for a while- but they were on the edge of a promise fulfilled.

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength (Deuteronomy 6:4-5).

The Israelites hadn't love God this way in the desert. They had turn to idols, in their desperation, instead of to the Lord, who is "one". I haven't loved God this way in the desert. I've turned to idols instead- idols of happiness, idols of security, idols of comfort- of God. I wish I could say that I'm not like them. That I've trusted God even in the heat of the desert. But that's not the case with this girl. For this very reason, I am praying daily, Lord, help me to desire you more than I desire changed circumstances. Folks, more than likely our circumstances will change eventually. Life is full of seasons. We have highs and lows. I want God to be confident that I will love Him with my whole heart, my soul, and all my strength in every season. The funny thing is I can't love Him that way without His help. I'm confident that He has no problem with drawing me closer to Him.

That's why I'm praying for a heart change.

When we learn to love Him with everything we are made up of- heart, soul, and strength- then He will be enough. Whether our circumstances change or not, we have a hope that is secure. I think that's were He wants us to rest.

In His Name,
Jennifer

No comments: