Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Book Review: Life, In Spite of Me


Amazing grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me,
I was once was lost, but now I’m found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Kristen Anderson, young, beautiful, and popular, could no longer handle the pain of living. Life that was once full was now void. Laying across the train tracks would end it all. Painless and fast, she would be done.
Funny, God had other plans. A life that seemed void of purpose would take on a role of amazing purpose. Kristen would find healing through a failed suicide attempt. Legless, she would find a firm foundation to stand on. As Kristen laid beside the train tracks, missing her legs, and bleeding to death, she heard the familiar lyrics, “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that save a wretch like me, I was once was lost, but now I’m found was blind, but now I see.” From there, she would begin a journey toward finding God and finding life. The road was long and hard, with many ups, and many more downs. Losing friends, facing the pain of recovery, struggling with depression, and finding hope was a part of a bigger plan- a redemptive plan. Truly a life in spite of {Kristen}.
Anderson gives a unique look into the mind of persons considering suicide. From reading Life, In Spite of Me, I gained greater empathy for people who find themselves broken to the point of suicide. Anderson does a fantastic job of sharing her thoughts and feelings leading up to the suicide attempt and following the failed attempt. There were aspects of the book that left me wanting more, but they were simply related to her writing style. One thing I loved about the book was her letters, at the end of each chapter, to readers struggling with depression and thoughts of suicide. Also, her evangelistic prompt for non- Christians, who wanted to surrender there lives to Christ. Though not my favorite read, I would still recommend Life, In Spite of Me, especially for parents or men and women in ministry.

Visit www.reachingyou.org to learn more about Kristen Anderson’s ministry.

*I was given a free copy of Life, In Spite of Me by Kristen Jane Anderson from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

In His Name,
Jennifer

No comments: