Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Will Your Faith be Credited toYou as Righteousness?

The LORD had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.“I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” Genesis 12:1-3

Do you think Abraham was scared?

God said leave and go, I will make you into a great nation, your name will be great, and all the peoples on earth will be blessed through you.

There is no question that Abraham had faith. Hebrews 11:8 says, By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. And His faith was "credited to him as righteousness" (Romans 4:3,Genesis 15:6, Romans 4:9, Romans 4:22, Galations 3:6, James 2:23). Abraham had faith numerous times in his life when God called him to the seemingly impossible.

But was he scared, or did he doubt?

I don't know. What I know is Abraham was every bit as human as we are. That fact alone gives me reason to believe he probably did. But you know what? I don't believe he dwelt on fear, doubt, or the impossible because he knew God as faithful.

In reguard to Abraham being the father of nations in his old age, Romans 4 says, Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. (verses 19-21)

He faced the facts without losing sight of God's faithfulness. Looking at the facts can be daunting. In those moments, pick up the shield of faith- In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one (Ephesians 6:16).

We all have times when the things God calls us to seem impossible. Take the example of Abraham and believe the promises of God. His word says,  I will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5). That's a firm foundation to stand on. And that is only one of the many promises where we can plant our feet.

When He says "go", we go. When the call involves sacrifice, we sacrifice. Let's not shrink back in fear, but let's follow our shepherd- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep"...My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one (John 10:10-11, 27-30).


Rest in His promises: do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Phil 4:6-7).


In His Name,
Jennifer

No comments: