Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

To Be or Not To Be?

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many-- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. ~Charles Dickens

Reflections
Courtesy of Flickr: here

This morning I woke up a little off. It wasn't a bad mood per se- it wasn't good mood either. The bed was calling my name, and really, that's all I cared about. Like the good little girl I am (sarcasm), I had a little talk partly with myself and partly with God. You know, "I can't do this", "I'm so tired", and "God, you don't mind if I get some extra sleep do you?". Believe it or not, I did make it out of the bed on time to spend time with God, and yet, I couldn't concentrate. I read Proverbs 5 at least three times. Oh you know those mornings don't you? They are becoming a regular thing for me, which has a lot to do with the business of this month. Seriously, this month has been nonstop for me. My body is letting me know that it's tired. I've learned I'm not one of those people who have rechargeable batteries and are able to recharge overnight. Nope, my batteries have to be changed. Bad analogy? Well, you get what I'm saying. That's not my point anyway.

My point? Sometimes we will sit in His presence, and just sit there. Some days we will have to cling to what we know to be true when our feelings have yet to catch up. Bad moods are bound to show up from time to time. Rough circumstances will assault us. Good moods will come. Beautiful moments will take our breath away, along with many days of mundane.  So, what do you do?

Remember why you live:

Psalm 84


How lovely is your dwelling place,
O Lord Almighty!
My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.
Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young—
a place near your altar,
O Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you. Selah
Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
they make it a place of springs;
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength,
till each appears before God in Zion.
Hear my prayer, O Lord God Almighty;
listen to me, O God of Jacob. Selah
Look upon our shield, O God;
look with favor on your anointed one.
Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
the Lord bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
from those whose walk is blameless.
O Lord Almighty,
blessed is the man who trusts in you.

Does anything else really matter? That's what I'm working through in this season. I'm also wondering what part does optimism play in our lives.{Is it just me or is this post taking a random turn?}Before you guys, who are not naturally optimistic, throw your stones, think about the God and all that we know about Him. Would you consider Him to be an optimist or a pessimist? I have to say "optimist". I'm no Bible scholar, but I can't think of a single instance in the Word where God is pessimistic. I don't believe He denies reality. However, I believe His slant toward reality is seasoned with optimism, never pessimism.

What do you think? And what does all of this have to do with us?

Challenge: No matter what comes today or what mood you're in, remember that better is one day in His courts and then look for a reason to be thankful. I promise there's at least one.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstance; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

Too big of a pill for a Monday?

In His Name,
Jennifer

2 comments:

TW said...

Sometimes God puts important messages in unexpected places! I didn't know about this blog until today, but this post talked about exactly what I needed to hear in my life right now. He works in crazy awesome ways!

Jennifer said...

Ahhh I love that! He never quits amazing me. :) So glad you dropped by!