Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Approval Addiction, Anyone?

Okay, so I have a problem and it's called approval addiction. I didn't really understand how bad it was until I began to look at how I make decisions, even the smallest decisions like what to wear or eat. I tend to think about who I'm going to be around. Crazy. Why would I look to other people to decide what I want? That doesn't make any sense. But that was exactly what I was doing and is exactly what I struggle with now.

As far as I can tell, God created me with likes and dislikes of my own. I have my own personality and morals. So, why am I looking to other people? Why do other people's opinions matter? These are questions I am trying to find the answers to. I believe my approval addictions boils down to lack of convidence. In the past, I have not had an accurate view of how God sees me.

That leads me to the point of this blog. I have been reading the book by Joyce Meyer "Approval Addiction". I don't know how you feel about her, but I love Joyce Meyer. Joyce pulled out some great verses to put in her book that I needed to be reminded of. I have begun to make in a practice to memorize and meditate on these verses daily.

Here are a few:

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Cor 5:21

(Did you catch that? Through Christ we become righteous-right with God. All because of what Jesus did and nothing we have done.)

"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will-" Eph 1:4-5

(He chose us to be blameless before He even created us. He adopted us according to His pleasure.)

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zeph 3:17

(This verse I did not get from the book. I found this while i was reading the Bible myself. It is one I cling to to show me how great God's love is for me. Not only does He love me, but He also delights in me!)

God is so good. I can already begin to feel Him healing my heart and freeing me from my struggles. I believe the things He has been teaching me lately has been leading up to this point. He is so good!!

Also, I have made it a point to remember that my mind should be transformed daily (Romans 12:2) That is my prayer that my mind will be transformed and I will see how big my God's love for me is. I know His approval is all I need and I have it. :)

In His Name,

Jennifer

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Jennifer,
What a great topic! I think this is an area that a LOT of women struggle with, myself included! It's something I'm still working on - not focusing on how others perceive me, or trying to please others, but instead keep my focus entirely on God - on pleasing Him in all areas of my life. Romans 12:2 is a verse that keeps coming back to me lately, so it's neat that you included it in this post.

Now to answer your question. :)
I'm actually not in school - I'm working. I did go to Bible school for a year, and had all kinds of crazy plans swirling through my brain when I graduated (teach English overseas? Mission work? More schooling?), but God has faithfully lead me along an unexpected path over the past few years instead. So to skip over some history, I'm currently working for myself - my sister and I run a housecleaning and senior care business. It's neat being able to spend time and visit with seniors that are often house-bound...so that's what I'm doing right now. I would love to be married and raise up passionate Christ-followers...but that plan is in God's hands for safe-keeping! In the meantime my goal is to grow nearer to God, and be available for His service in any way He see fits! Well, I think I'm finished with my little novel here...!

Cheryl said...

Hey Jen,
To learn this lesson while you are young is going to be such a life tranforming thing for you!!!!

I love Psalm 62:5
My soul wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him.

Love you!