Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Heart...

Two verses keep pelting at my heart today.

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Psalm 4:23

and

"Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires." Songs of Songs 2:7


These verses tend to be the cry of most single women, and I am no different. Today, however, I feel a new since of appreciation for these words--- a deeper revelation of words heard recited for so long. I now feel fully aware of the truth in these words.

My humanity likes to take center stage in my life more often than it should.This heart is vulnerable and this flesh is weak. Too often I am more than willing to step away from reality into a world of dreams that should not be yet awakened- dreams of a Prince who has yet to enter my world, or dreams of a man who has yet to open his heart to me.

Today is different. Today I realize the freedom in guarding and in waiting.

God, I'm listening....

In His Name,
Jennifer
"I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:7-8

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Amen, oh-so much.

Though I know it's not the context of Song of Songs, I could easily imagine the warning, "Daughters of Jerusalem...do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires..." coming from a woman who knows what happens when you do too early; what happens when you don't guard your heart. It is, after all, "deceitful above all things and beyond cure" only God can understand it.

I definitely needed what you wrote here.