Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's Getting Loud in Here, Folks

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angles, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal (1 Cor 13:1).

Monday I started a Monday Morning group with an awesome circle of Christian ladies. We will be meeting every Monday morning at 6:30 for coffee, breakfast, and the Word. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed meeting with them this week, even though it required me to get out of bed thirty minutes earlier than usual. It looks like I may begin to like Monday mornings.

As part of our time together, we are going to start memorizing scripture. Our goal is to memorize 1 Corinthians 13. This week we started with verse one, and next week we will try to say it together (there's no pressure, just trying to plant the Word in our hearts).

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angles, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal (1 Cor 13:1).

Today, I have been thinking about what this verse is really saying, and it's powerful. It's sad to say, but I'm not sure that I've ever looked at this verse alone. Sure, I read the "love" chapter, but I've failed to zoned in on verse one. That was a mistake. Verse one is quite meaty.

Listen, you (I) can talk all we want, for better or worse. Without love, we are simply making a bunch of noise. Noise, folks. Seriously, God is comparing us to a cymbal and a gong. For some reason, I don't think he was referring to a sweet melody, but noise. How does that translate in my relationships with people? Do you see where I'm going with this?

I'm convicted.

Love makes all the difference. You want to make difference, especially with your words? You better add love to the equation, or be prepared to be noise.

When we witness.

When we write.

When we share.

When we speak.

I hope this challenges you like it has me. . .

Praying for you!

In His Name,
Jennifer

No comments: