Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Earthen Vessels

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us (2 Corinthians 4:7, KJV).

This morning I was parked in 2 Corinthians 4, and I was drinking it up. You know, that first bite or sip of something after you have had a major craving- that moment when the phrase, "that hits the spot" comes into play? That's what this verse did for me last night when I first read it. {But we have this treasure in earthen vessels} I think "earthen vessels" is now tattooed on my brain.

It's not of us, and our earthen vessels make that very clear. The treasure of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is kept in our bodies made from dust. Let's go back to the verses three and four:

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine into them (v 3-4).

I have to wonder if I have hidden the gospel in this earthly vessel. There are folks with blinded minds who need to see the gospel shining from our earthen vessels,  that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us (v 7). 


For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 4:6).

I don't think I've gotten all I can from 2 Corinthians 4, and I'm not hear to speculate on these verses, but I wanted to share with you what was speaking to me today.

Earthen vessels. Has a nice ring to it, right?

In His Name,
Jennifer

No comments: