Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Pesky Chocolate and Peanut Butter

Well, folks, it's Monday! Here in the middle of Georgia we are experiencing cloudy skies with occasional showers- outside. Inside and to my left a storm is brewing. You see, I have a box of homemade "reese's" eggs sitting next to me. Yes, I know it's not Easter, but when someone is kind enough to present you with a decadent mixture of chocolate and peanut butter, you never complain. Ever. Even when sugar is your greatest nemesis. Oy.

Funny, but incredibly tempting. Makes me think about other times I have stared temptation in the face. There have been wins. And losses. Ready or not temptation has always been there. Okay, it's not always sitting on your desk. Although, some times it is. Other times it's a subtle issue, just under the surface, occasionally taking even us by surprise.

One thing that is sure is, when we follow God, there is an enemy that gets nervous. He should, shouldn't he? I hope so. I desperately want to make him scared. No, I'm not a fan of the repercussions- some in the form of temptation.

Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak (Matthew 26:41).

The disciples' moments of weakness at Gethsemane are perfect examples of the flesh falling prey to temptation. I have to wonder, "how could they"? Did they not hear Jesus when He said, My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me (vs 38)? How could I?

My sin took His life.

Here I am, still falling prey to temptation's call.

No, I'm not simply talking about those pesky, yet tasty, "reese's" eggs. Although, for this girl, they definitely qualify as tempting. But let's talk all temptations. Like me, maybe sugar is your nemesis, or maybe it's pride, or lying, or anger or maybe it's the hot-stuff who served you your morning coffee. A combination of all of the above? I feel ya.

Count the cost. Remember your real enemy.

Say no.

Watch as He strengthens you with each no. (He loves when you say no)

I'm here struggling with you.

In His Name,
Jennifer


No comments: