Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pause

Untitled
courtesy of Flickr: here
I like to think of myself as a low key, casual gal. By no means am I a workaholic. I prefer week nights at home reading, walking at the graveyard (yes, graveyard), or catching the Mentalist on tv. The "go go go" life is not my forte. Although I do love weekends out with friends, most would call me a home-body by nature. And yet, this is a big "and yet", I rarely find time to pause.

My mind constantly runs from thought to thought, never pausing- never being still and knowing. And I wonder why I am exhausted.

Pause.

From the moment I wake up (not including the moments of crazy dreams between the snoozes- they are another story all their own) til the moment I finally fall asleep from all the tossing and turning, my mind is on the go. I wonder is it the caffeine, all that's going on in my solitude life, or my mind reaching insanity?

Pause.

It's hard to make sense of all the noise. I try. But that's really not the solution. Our culture is rapid movement, whether we are technically moving or not.

Pause.

It's in the pausing that our minds rest. That looks different from person to person. For me, that's starting to look like slowing down in the evenings, not only activity wise, but in my mind. I'm the homebody, remember? I am not, however, good at resting.

Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! (Psalm 46:10)

I want to reap the benefits of hearing Him- of knowing who He is- of being still.

Pause.

It's in the pausing.

Just FYI, pausing won't happen without intention on our parts.


In His Name,
Jennifer

No comments: