Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Blessings in Accomplishing

Did you read the article on yahoo about Jenn Gibbons, the rower sexually assaulted while rowing Lake Michigan for cancer patients? You should check it out here- a truly inspiring story of perseverance. The story brought up questions of accomplishment that I have been mulling over for a while. Jenn Gibbons did not give up. She was determined to finish the goal she set out to accomplish. Her cause and accomplishment called louder than pain and defeat.

As Christians, I think we sometimes pull pack from accomplishments because of what we read in the Word about being humble and storing treasures in heaven. I know I'm not the only one who has wrestled with finding balance between having pride in our works, and being humble. In accomplishing goals on earth and storing my treasures where decay can not reach them. It's a hard topic to settle, or at least it has been for me. Today, I believe I may have tied up one aspect of the "argument".

Could it be that accomplishment is a gift for perseverance in hard work? We know we are told to work hard, to avoid laziness.

Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise (Proverbs 6:6).

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway (Proverbs 15:19).

We know that we are God's workmanship created in Him to do good work.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them (Ephesians 2:10).

Life is worth living well for the Kingdom with all the accomplishments along the way. They are gifts from God. Our ability and talents are gifts from His hand. The key is keeping our accomplishments in their rightful place. We bow down to one God. Ultimately, we work for His Kingdom. But I just believe that God basks in our accomplishments, and encourages us to do the same- to recognize the gifts from Him. Apart from Him we can do nothing.

I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing (John 15:5).

Maybe you're like me and you've had to wrestle over this balancing act. Have you gleaned any wisdom for your wrestling? Please share.

In His Name,

Jennifer

No comments: