Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Doubts in the Great Unknown

I wish I could say that I have always had peace in the "great unknown"- that I've trusted and enjoyed every day of the ride. I can't though. It's been hard, y'all. Standing on the edge of a steep hill unsure of when you will fall keeps you on your toes, yes, and keeps you on the brink of a nervous break down.

Dry Land
Courtesy of Flickr: here
Hard.

I've wondered through doubts. I have asked for direction, clarity. I've measured the risk, and have done the comparisons. Yet, I'm still exploring the unknown. God is in the unknown. I'm sure of it. It's where he lead Abraham to- am I right?

The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you (Genesis 12:1).

Go. Leave. I will tell you.

I've seen example after example of men and women from the Bible who have been obedient with little more than commands from the Lord to go on. Take Noah for example. He spent years building a boat for rain, a flood. He had never seen rain. Sacrifice your promised son, He told Abraham, and no, there's no foreseeable replacement. He called Esther, for such a time as this. Follow me?

Sometimes we're called to the hard places, not pushed there by life or sin. We are called there. Our life plans walk through the valley of the shadow of doubt. I've walked through that valley lately, and through this season I have found new comfort into Psalm 23.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23

You've walked through the desert. You know it's dry, hot, and barren, but not without the Shepherd. When I keep my eyes on His back, I know I'm going the right direction. I will find myself suffering in the middle of the desert, roaming in deep valleys, and taking in mountain top views- all with the Shepherd. Never alone.

The seasons are changing around here. I can't wait to tell you more. So, stay tuned.

In His Name,

Jennifer



2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've been hanging onto Psalm 34:15 lately: "The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
And His ears are open to their cry." Our Good Shepherd is watching and listening to us! We don't have to fight for His attention, not even in the valley shadows. I needed this today -- thank you!

Jennifer said...

Love that verse. It's hard to remember that He watches us, and knows us. I was watching clips from Wednesdays with Beth (Moore) on youtube. You should check out God's purposes for you. It's in six clips and it's so good. She talks about these same things, and she pulls out some pretty awesome Greek and Hebrew. :)