Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Stepping into our Places

The world is big; I am small.

On The Road
Courtesy of Flickr: here
Sometimes the weight of that keeps me stuck. I'm paralyzed by weakness. Helpless to make a difference. Overwhelmed by the brokenness. Weak in what I have to give. Wondering what to do when the world's problems are so much bigger than me.

That's where I am. But I can't stay here overwhelmed by problems. There's no purpose in helplessness. Purpose lies in divine direction. No, I can't handle all the world's brokenness. I'm weak. I'm selfish. I'm broken. Even if I did have it together, there is not enough of me to go around. It's safe to say, my shoulders can't handle the weight. 

What the world needs is a Savior. 

Thankfully, we have one. He is bigger than the problems. What weighs me down rest comfortably on His shoulders. When I try to carry the weight, I'm not helping anyone, only leaving myself powerless to help. Instead, I gain strength when I rely on His power to bring change. 

God is His infinite wisdom knows my weakness. He knows my infinity to carry what is not mine to carry. Yet, He gives me a place. He ignites passion and gives me grace to work in that passion. The same is true of all of us. 

What would happen if we all took our places?

You know, getting into step with God. Laying down our lives, picking up our crosses, and following Jesus. Isn't that the Gospel? He laid down His life that we can live. Shouldn't we surrender ours to His causes?

Life is short, folks. We are here for a second and then we're gone. Our brief lives, however, should not be lived in vain. The problems of this world are too big for us. True story. They are not too big for the God we serve. And He, in his graciousness, has given us opportunity to join Him in His work.

What a privilege!

Not to be confused with a weight. God knows we can't do what He is asking of us on our own. We're small, remember? So stop trying. Recognize His hand, join Him in His work, but know where your abilities come from. 

We are each given a passion for the causes of Christ. I believe that. There are too many broken places for one person. By stepping into our place- following the leading of Jesus in our lives- the lost will be saved, the broken redeemed, the hungry fed, and the slave set free. 

There are many passions fighting for attention in this heart. So, I stay close to the heart of Jesus. 

Where now, Lord? 



5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I needed to hear this today! Thank you, Jenn, for following His leading and for sharing that journey with us :)

Jennifer said...

Becca, you have been on my mind lately! I hope things are going well at school and that God is really showing off in your life. Thanks for your constant support. :)

Jennifer said...

Becca, you have been on my mind lately! I hope things are going well at school and that God is really showing off in your life. Thanks for your constant support. :)

Emily said...

YES!! So much truth here. And love how in the midst of competing passions you say, "So, I stay close to the heart of Jesus." Right there with you. No better place to be.

Jennifer said...

No better place indeed, Emily!