Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Perfectly Placed in the Hands of Grace

Have you ever heard the song by Francesca Battistelli, Free To Be Me? The chorus says

"...I got a couple dents in my fender, Got a couple rips in my jeans, Try to fit the pieces together, But perfection is my enemy, On my own I'm so clumsy, But on Your shoulders, I can see, I'm free to be me"

I think it's more than I'm "free to be me". Don't get me wrong. I love the song. The part that resonates with me is "perfection is my enemy". It seems like the past couple of days perfection has been my worst enemy.

My attitude isn't perfect, my prayer life isn't perfect, my body isn't perfect, my love isn't perfect, my goals aren't perfect, my obedience isn't perfect...the list goes on.

Life is far from perfect. People are far from perfect.

Yet, Somewhere along the way I learned that perfection was attainable, even preferred- from me, from those around me, and from life.

I expect it. It's a standard I have for my life.

No wonder I'm frustrated with myself. I can't live up to perfection and my life certainly will never be perfect. It's not possible in a world of sin.

But...Grace. Sometimes I think there is no sweeter sounding word than "grace". Then I remember the name "Jesus".

Because of the atoning sacrifice Jesus Christ made on the cross, I have grace for my imperfection.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Cor 12:9

I'm far from delighting in the things listed above. However, my prayer is that with each weakness, insult, hardship, persecution, and difficulty I grow closer to delighting in them.
Thank you, Lord, for grace!

In His Name,

Jennifer

No comments: