Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

I Seek Him: Forgotten

 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well (Matthew 6:33).

Rainy Autumn Day
Courtesy of Flickr: here
Seek. There's the word again. It's my "word" for the year. I wrote about it here, here, here, and here.

Threaded through each situation I've faced this year has been the call to "seek". I seek when my world is falling apart. Seek when dreams are left to fill my heart, not my life. When I'm breathing deep on mountain tops, God says, "Seek me there too". And you know what? God met me in those moments. Maybe not the way I anticipated- intimacy grew non the less.

I didn't know in January of this year, when God began to press "seek" on my heart, the extent that God would use seeking Him to tie me to Him. Boy, I've I been swept off my feet. He proved His love and provision. I learned, in a very real way, that God is the  provider of our most basic of needs- physical, emotional, and spiritual.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well (Matthew 6:33).

Some days, divine direction feels more like abandonment. It's hard to seek a God you are confident has forgotten you. I understand. But let's shed a little light on that lie.

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me (Psalm 139:1-5).

Forgotten? Hardly. Being known with the completenes that God knows you and being forgotten by Him can not happen simultaneously. Trust me, when I say, God does not have a bad memory.
The important thing to remember is God cares, knows, and is big enough to handle it all. In that knowledge, we can seek, letting it all fade in light of who He is. Quit seeking the results and seek the giver, our Lord.

I know you will find intimacy in seeking Him. Don't give up when the search seems endless.

You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13).

In His Name,
Jennifer

No comments: