Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Embrace The Sheep That You Are

*Read the verses below slowly. Meditate each verse. Don't miss the truth because of your familiarity with the verses.*

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever (Psalm 23).

green pasture
Courtesy of Flickr: here
Ah the life of a sheep. It doen't seem real glamorous. I mean, who wants to be compared to a sheep, who are known for the utter helplessness and stupidity? Would we not rather be compared to a capable, strong, and beautiful animal? Let's face it, sheep are ugly. Okay, I realize that's personal opinion You make think sheep or beautiful. If that is the case, you can picture me tilting my head in confusion at you. Moving on. Sheep are fully dependent on their shepherd. They don't have much choice. Without the shepherd, they would fall prey to their own stupidity (Okay, I can relate).

Now, look at the life of said sheep in the care of the shepherd in the verses above.

Kind of glamorous, right?

Why then do we buck against such leadership in our own lives as sheep?

So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came
before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father (John 10:7-18).

When Jesus said, Follow Me, it wasn't a shady offer of abundant life. No, it was the offer of a lifetime to follow the Shepherd in abundance despite circumstances, maybe even because of circumstances.

Are you following Him? It's not easy, but it's good and abundant.

Praying for you today, Friends.

In His Name,
Jennifer

No comments: