Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

"...All other Ground is Sinking Sand"

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."

We jump from pit to pit, or we dig ourselves deeper in the pit we're in look for solid ground. You and I can keep looking and keep digging, but until we realize there is only one way out, we're stuck.

You're pit may not seem so bad. Sure, it's a little shaky at times, but it's comfortable. Sit there a while. The ground only becomes more unstable. You loose your footing and you fall deeper.

Maybe your pit is deep and terrifying. You want out, but you've tried everything.

I believe pits come in seasons. There are times you stand firm on the rock. Other times you take your eyes off God and you fall into the pit.

The great news is you weren't made for a pit.

"From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe." Psalm 61:2-3

My pit is of my own digging. It seems comfortable at times, but it is far from stable.

I have been learning as I've been intentional in "seek"ing Him this year to take His word for what it is...Truth.

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24

What does your pit look like? What shallow ground are you standing on?

In His Love,
Jennifer

2 comments:

Amy said...

I've been reading Matthew in my devotion time lately and I've noticed something. Jesus never turns anyone away, in every situation he picked the person up, healed their deseases and solved their problem. He is just waiting to pull us from the mire and wash us clean. Just reach up your hand and take his :)

Courtney said...

God just hit me with a Mac-truck with what both you and Aims just said. I'm reminded of our Monday night bible studies with beth moore ("thank you for calling butler ford, this is beth moore..." haha) and how much we're called to be refuges for other people, safe places for people to come in from the rain and just heal. The truth is, though, we can't be those refuges when we need a refuge ourselves, when we desperately need to be picked up out of the pit that has become our unstable home for any length of time. But praise God! Jesus never turns away those of us who fall. He's our refuge, our Stronghold, our Defender, our Kinsmen Redeemer. And He will restore us far beyond our former "glory" so that we can be refuges for those whose broken hearts need binding.