Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Life Through the Lens of Grace

On February 10th of last year I wrote this post. Now, one year and five days later I'm struggling with the same thing: Perfection.

I want perfection really bad.

A perfect attitude...
A perfect love...
A perfect life...
A perfect body...
A perfect job...
A perfect me...

When I find  the person who taught me perfection was attainable, I'm putting them in time-out. Seriously, that was a cruel thing to do.

Okay moving on.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Cor 12:9-10).

I wonder what would have happened if instead being taught to aim for perfection, we had been taught to show and accept grace in the mist of imperfection. It's an interesting thought. This girl would probably have a better handle on the things that trip me up, or I would be tripping over a whole new set of issues. Whatever the case, I'm focused on standing the Word now (All else is sinking sand).

I have seen an end of all perfection: but thy commandment is exceeding broad (Psalm 119:96).

Perfection ends. It can not be maintained. The Word stands. It is never failing truth.

As much as I prefer hiding from my imperfections and the imperfections of this life, practicing grace is a better option.

...{His} grace is sufficient, for {His} power is made perfect in weakness (2 Cor 12:9a).

Next year at this time, I hope I'm writing a post about how offering grace in the face of imperfection has changed my heart.

In His Name,
Jennifer

2 comments:

Shebecomes said...

I love journaling because I can look back and see how prayers have been answered, and sometimes how I've grown and overcome challenges. Then at the same time, sometimes it is hard because I look back and see myself struggling with some of the same things over and over and over again. Anyways, I love that you shared this for the whole world to see, cause it makes me somehow feel a little more okay about my struggles, and also encourages me to keep pursuing those things that bring me closer to Christ and hopefully will ultimately mold me to become more like Him.

Jennifer said...

Girl, me too! As much as I hate staring my struggles in the face, I think seeing them in writing helps to remind me that it's something I have to keep working on and praying through.

Rebecca, in case I haven't told you before, I love that you read my blog. :)